Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Gardening, Camping, Solstice, Grandpa and Late Father's Day

I am really becoming a gardening nerd! I walk around the hill to work every morning and see this: 
And I get so excited! I think it's so pretty! Look how it's growin'! I didn't think I could get so pumped about a garden, but I am sure excited about this one! 
 We planted over 1000 Green Onions! 
 My Beautiful Grannie and the turnips that I transplanted on the first day of work! They are getting so big! She said I should say, Grannie and Turnip, Can you tell which is which? I said, Grannie, whatever.
 Selfie with my favorite baby turnips that are all growed up now! 
 Tomatoes!!!! Nothing else needs to be said, just I love TOMATOES!!! 
Grannie and Larue in the Pepper House. It's the best smelling place in the whole garden! I love it in there! Yummers!!
Gardening in shorts... I said, when my knees are both covered in dirt, it camouflages my scar, and I practically look normal! :) 

This last week the YSA Relief Society went camping! It was not really camping actually, we slept in a really super dry cabin. But it was awesome! We had some good chats around a camp fire (I have a pretty good hick accents when I say "fire". It's whatevs.) It was a good trip. We really got to know each other better. We had an adventure on the way home Saturday. It was raining and we had 13 girls and 2 men piled on a quad and a side by side. I had no rain gear and I was in the back of one. I was SO wet!! Bishop was driving a 4-wheeler and the wheel popped off, so we stopped a lot to try and fix it and then we just winched it up to the back of the quad and then it snapped so we had to jimmy rig it up. Anyways, the 1 hour rainy ride turned into 3 hours of getting wet. Awesome!!! Adventure is out there! (name that movie... Up!)

Also, Saturday was the Summer Solstice. That takes on a whole new meaning in Alaska. It means NEVER dark for like 48 hours! I didn't stay up for all of it, but I stayed up 'til like 2 AM. We played soda pong. I don't even like pop, so it was like a stretch. We drank a lot of pop and bubbly. More than probably my whole life put together to this point. Needless to say, I went to the bathroom a lot. Then we had a little camp fire too. I don't have a good picture of the fire because my camera wasn't doing so well with so much orange light, but I like fire! 
 Me and Marika. The sparkling headband made me the fairy princess! 
 Sadie, Me and Marika! Solstice party!! 
And this picture is 1:30 AM! Awesome!!! It would be lighter, minus it's super cloudy.

A couple of weeks ago, for Family Home Evening, me and Sadie asked Grandpa if he would spend the evening telling us stories that went along with his picture book. The book has a lot of good pictures, but no captions. So, I filmed his stories. We talked for like an hour and a half. All the segments were like 6 minutes long, so if you're not family, you might get bored with this piece of the night, but I think it's pretty cool. I love my grandpa and his stories. He's going to be 90 in October, and I'm so thankful that I get to spend the summer with him, because there's no saying how much longer I would be able to have a chance like this.



And last Sunday I didn't write a Father's Day blog, but that doesn't mean I don't love my Dad. I talked to him on the phone. I love my dad so much. It's been a good thing for me to be up here too, because I miss him terribly and have realized how much he means to me, and I know that he's missing me almost unbearably, and when I return home, I will be the favorite daughter for sure. My dad has done so much for me and I love him. One thing that I really love about my dad is that he always made time for me. Lots of kids don't get to spend tons of time with their dad. I'm lucky because I was with my dad from 4-6 every evening for 2/3 of the school year, I was with him Friday-Sunday all day! I was with him a lot during the summer. I saw him every day before I went to school. I really am so blessed to have him around as much as he is. He spent time with me too. He rebounded for me and we went on walks and bike rides and hikes and cook-outs all together. He's the greatest dad for me! I miss him a lot and I'm excited to see him in August when I will be his favorite child! 

No comments:

Post a Comment