Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

BYU's Museum of Art

This week, on Monday, I was assigned to visit the MOA for two classes. One class required me to be there for 30 minutes in the amazing "Sacred Gift's" exhibit, and the other class required me to spend 20 minutes with one painting. Because I'm wise and try and use my time very efficiently, I thought, I can do the 20 minute one as part of my 30 minutes and save myself 20 minutes! Pretty good thought. However, it didn't work out that way. I went into the "Sacred Gifts" exhibit and I really liked, it. But earlier this year when I went to the MOA, I saw a painting by my Great-Grandma, Minerva Teichert, that I really liked and as I was looking for a painting in the "Sacred Gifts" exhibit to spend 20 minutes with, I kept thinking about this other painting. So, I decided to not do my 20 minutes within my 30 minutes and I am glad I made that decision. Now I want to share with you my experience in the Museum of Art and try and persuade you all to go and see it if you haven't ever. It's amazing! And I'm not even an artist! 

For Book of Mormon I spent 30 minutes in the "Sacred Gifts" exhibit. Here's what I found:

Heinrich Hofmann: Portrait of Christ, the Savior: I am the Way, the Truth, and the Light.
  The artists said, "I wanted to hang it over my bed and when I went to rest in the evening, it should look at me, earnestly scrutinizing, and ask, 'Have you lived this day in my spirit according to my commandments?'"
  Christ was staring at me, and I wondered then how I would answer that question. I know that I always want to answer that question with an unshaken "Yes." 
Frans Schwartz: The Mocking of Christ with Mary the Annunciate and Mary the Elder.
  My response to this piece was that the painting of Mary the Elder makes me sad. She looks a lot like a lady I know, but I don't know who. I can't imagine what I'd look like if my son was crucified. I can see the sadness in her face and the way she holds her body. It's sad.
  It's sad to look at pictures of the crucifixion. In this one I see the tattered robes. I never noticed tattered robes before. I am grateful that Christ was willing to suffer and die for my sins, but the cruelty makes me sad.
Carl Bloch: Let the Little Children Come Unto Me.
  I can see in His face that He loves the kids and the kids adore Him. He is holding the ones hand and is hunched over the other one kind of protectively and there is a little kid behind the apostle that is looking for Christ and it is so cute. I know that I am still a Child of God and He would suffer me to come to Him. I am grateful that although I can’t go to Him physically yet, I can go spiritually, and someday that will allow me to go to Him physically. I love my Savior and I know He loves me.

The "Sacred Gifts" museum was the fastest 30 minutes turned into 45 minutes that I've ever experienced and I skipped over the last 10 pieces. It's amazing and it's a once in a life time experience! Christ is the Savior. He came to earth. He called Prophets and Apostles. He performed miracles. He suffered for us and died for us so that we may repent. He was resurrected so that one day we may be too, and we can forever live with Him again. I know this.

My 20 minutes with Grandma's painting was the fastest 20 minutes turned into 30 minutes! I think the MOA is some kind of a Time-Warp machine. The painting that I chose is in the Gallery on the main floor and it's a paining that I've never seen before this year. I LOVE it!

Minerva Teichert: Immigrants to New York City (Jewish Immigrants)
  Between 1922 and 1939, 19,000 German-Jewish refugees fleeing from Hitler's regime immigrated to the United States. The largest number came in 1938, the year this work was painted. 
  This picture to me, after 20 minutes, says so many things. I'll let you decide what it means for you and I'll just give you some ideas of what I thought. I feel like the woman in the center, with the two girls, looks like she's lost her husband and is just hoping that there will be safety and a way to make a life with her two daughters in America. The musician is looking in awe at the city and I feel like he is hopeful that he'll be able to do what he loves and find a way to make things work. Then the woman with the red bonnet makes me a little sad. I think she's holding a baby and the way her shoulders are hunched, she looks like she really needs a good long rest. She looks very tired and worn down. I hope she found a happy ending to her story. 
  The tattered luggage makes me think that these people are really coming from someplace poor and looking for something better or safer: A place that they can make a better life. It shows the sacrifices people are willing to make.
  I've always been a loyal Patriot and I LOVE America! This painting makes me love America more. That America could provide hope and wonder for so many makes me feel proud to be an American.
  I love the Statue of Liberty and the City in the back-ground! I am excited to see New York and maybe feel the awe and shock that the musician looks like he is feeling.  
  I love Great-Grandma's paintings. She's for sure my favorite artist. 

The Museum of Art is an amazing place to visit in Provo and I'm so glad that I've been able to go twice this school year. The main floor is where these paintings came from, but plan to spend a while in there because the art downstairs is fantastic as well. I'm glad that God blessed many people with artistic talents. The world is a better and more beautiful place because of artists. Go to the Museum of Art. You won't regret it!


For tickets go here:  http://moa.byu.edu/

1 comment:

  1. Tessa, thank you for sharing! I had never seen that painting of Grandma's, either. It really is beautiful and has lot going on in it. I think it is awesome that you have a class or two that challenge you to spend time expanding your interests and analyzing things you wouldn't take time to, otherwise. Thanks for sharing your testimony. Love you!

    ReplyDelete