Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

#hashtags

  When I was first introduced to "hashtags," I was so confused. Why would someone put a pound sign or number sign before a long stream of words that normally don't makes sense and break all the english rules of capitalization and spacing? And for a long time I thought hashtags were really stupid and considered defriending... unfriending... disfriending... whatever, I considered doing that to my facebook friends who used hashtags. I was annoyed to say the least.
  I now realize that hashtags aren't going away and sometimes they are pretty funny. One time Olivia and I were teaching our parents about hashtags and we started talking hashtags. We were annoying for a while. During our hashtag talk we were driving up to my Aunt Sally's house. Running up the lane in front of us was a rabbit. Mom said, "If Sedona were with us, she'd want us to stop and see the rabbit." Livi said, "Hashtag: Where's my gun?" And I finished with, "Hashtag: Dinner for DAYYZZZ!" It was a funny hashtag that served it's point. It was great! Hashtags, when used right and not overbearingly, can be funny and effective. 
  I'm not a hashtagger (I used my first hashtag over the weekend: #ldsconf) but I no longer want to unfollow my hashtag friends. I sometimes like to talk in hashtags. It's kind of funny. I think there is a time and place for hashtags. Maybe a limit of two per post or something like that would make them less annoying to the public. And they really can be a good tool for spreading the gospel. My cousin Jason was posting about Conference weekend and used a great hashtag. He did #mormonsuperbowl. People will see that can get interested. I don't understand all that hashtags do in marketing and what "trending" means, but whatever. I'm no longer a hashtag hater, but I'm not a lover. I'm just indifferent. 
  And this video about hashtags is pretty funny! 
  Have the BEST DAY of your Life... TODAY! :) 

2 comments:

  1. #thatvideo #sotrue #BUTWECANTSTOP #laughingoutloud #sorryforbreakingyourhashtagrule

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally the same way. I thought hashtags were totally annoying...until I got on Instagram. Yes, I overuse them in ridiculous ways, but they can be used in great ways, like you said, to spread the gospel. I have also found many great friends and people who suffer the same disease as I do through hashtags, Plus it can be quite entertaining to speak in hashtags...

    ReplyDelete