Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

First World Problems... So Silly!

This semester I am taking an Anthropology class which is the study of people all over the world and how different societies function and why they function like they do. It's very interesting. Well, in our lab on Friday we saw a few videos showing FWP's... First World Problems. I laughed at the videos, but it really is ridiculous how often we complain. Here's a list of FWP's that I have had in the last couple of weeks.

1. Our toilet just keeps running until I take the lid off the tank and lift up the little black handle. How annoying to have to do that twice a day! 
  • Hello Tessa!! You just went to the bathroom inside! There's indoor plumbing! You can flush your waste and it's not in a bowl or in the gutter in the street! I think you can take the lid off the back of the toilet and lift the black deal.
2. My cell phone sometimes doesn't vibrate when I get a text and then it takes me a second to remember that I'm talking to someone. Just vibrate for crying out loud! 
  • Um... some people don't get to talk to their friends and family so easily, if ever. It's okay if you have to manually check your phone for a text. 
3. I have all this food in my fridge, but I don't want to eat any of it. It just doesn't look that good to me.
  • Food. Indoor refrigerator. Electricity. Stop complaining! 
4. It takes close to 30 seconds for the water in the tap to get cold enough for me to fill up my water bottle. Good night! 
  • Once again lady... water in the kitchen sink without hauling it from the creek. And it gets to be cold, or hot. That's pretty cool!
5. I always have a hard time deciding what to wear in the morning. 
  • Some people don't get to decide. Some people only have one thing to decide on. Tessa, you almost have enough shirts to last half a year without wearing one twice. None of them have holes or stains. I think you can find something completely appropriate. 
6. I don't have a problem with this one, but it was on the video and I was dying laughing... A guy is putting his cell phone in his pants pocket and says, "My iPhone's too big for my skinny jeans!" 
  • You have the internet in your hand! You can connect with anyone, anywhere, anytime. And plus... maybe just get manlier pants. 
7. Another one I don't really worry about but I laugh about it... I don't get very good internet service on the airplane.
  • You're what? Traveling through the air at an incredible rate and you're going to be clear across a country in 5 hours? That is seriously AMAZING! What a miracle! Planes are incredible! 
8. My bed is so tall that I have to practically jump into it every night. I'm tired. I shouldn't have to jump!
  • Isn't it cool though that you have a soft mattress and a pillow and sheets and a comforter and a blanky and you can be warm and not on the floor?! 
9. There is construction right outside of my apartment and I have to take the long way to school and the long way to church! That really is so annoying to me!
  • Tessa. Do you realize how many people want to go to BYU and would walk miles every day to get the education that you do? Do you realize that people wake up at all hours of the night to get to church on Sunday? Do you realize pioneers walked clear across the country? I think you can handle it.
10. The dishwasher at our apartment is so bad! If we want clean dishes, we have to completely scrub them before we put them in the dishwasher. What a waste of time when my dishwasher is supposed to do it for me!
  • Aren't you the dishwasher? Lots and lots of people wash their dishes by hand, in a bucket. 

First World Problems sound so dumb! In a world where we have everything, it's crazy that we can find so much to complain about! I know that I'm not awesome enough to never complain about these things, but I'm going to make a better effort. I really have a great life! I have so many things that lots of people can't even imagine! I'm so grateful to live in America and have the family that I have and the education and the technology and everything! It's the best to be alive! So, if you have FWP's laugh about them and realize how dumb you sound! 

5 comments:

  1. I say this to myself multiple times a day! Hilarious post, great message. We all need to complain a little less and be thankful a little more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I need to be reminded of this...and remind my kids of this as well! They don't realize how good we all have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Those skinny jeans are so manly" -said no one ever
    LOL This is great Tessa, thanks for making me laugh all day every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Get manlier pants" .... haha my favorite part! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete